Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Welcome! #1

Hello everyone, my name is Stephen, and this is my video game inspired blog.

I love video games, and ever since I got my first Super Nintendo at the age of 8 they have held a special place in my life. In fact, this admiration has recently given me yet another epic goal. That goal is to own one of the best video game collections of all time. However, I don't simply plan on owning all of these games, that would be too simple. Instead, I plan on playing through every one of them (and losing copius amounts of sanity along the way I'm sure).

Let's begin shall we?

Initially I thought I would try to get one of everything, but perusing Wikipedia (and seeing that video online that covers 450 consoles in twenty minutes) made me decide to limit what I'm collecting for by just a tad. Here are the complete libraries I came up with:

(Note: I'm only collecting North American releases)

-Gameboy, Gameboy Light, Gameboy Pocket, Super Gameboy

-Gameboy Color

-Gameboy Advance, GBA SP, Gameboy Micro

-Game and Watch

-DS, DS Lite, DSi

-NES

-SNES

-Nintendo 64

-Sega Genesis

-32x

-Neo Geo

-Gamecube

-Xbox

-Sega CD

-Sega Saturn

-Dreamcast

-Playstation

-Ps2

-Ps3

-10 Arcade Cabinets (I'm not sure which yet)

It should also be noted that I'm trying to get completes (that is original cases and instruction manuals) for all of the disc based consoles, but not necessarily for the cartridges. I'm also going to try and get all of the variations for each of the consoles themselves (different colors etc.) and all of the controllers and peripherals (though I haven't decided yet if I want all of the third party ones also).


What do you think? Insanity? With a little luck I'll play through 20,000 (that isn't a typo) games in my lifetime. That should cover all of the systems mentioned above and anything modern that's released. In this blog I'll chronicle my new purchases (and rare finds that I happen across in the wild), what I'm playing currently, articles about games and the game industry, brief thoughts on games and full on reviews.

Are you as excited as I am? Well welcome yet again, I look forward to sharing this crazy journey with you. Grab a comfortable seat, we're going to be here for a while...

Stephen


PS: I'm over at Digitpress also: StetsonGraves

I'm also on Facebook and Myspace as well if you want to get to know me outside of video game land. Okay, I'll shut up for now.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, yea that is a lot of games to acquire lol. I only collect games I like playing haha. I don't really see the point of collection full sets when half of the games are trash and take up all my living space.

    But yea sounds like it will be an interesting blog. I am also from digitpress (lazyhoboguy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's a list there! har har well godo luck on your hunts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I collect every console myself .. but here is a tip . you should concentrate on 1 console first . I'm currently focusing on NES . Pick a console first and when you shop , only look for deals and the games of your console of choice, unless of course you have no budget whatsoever and money is not a problem :) good luck with the quest , im following your blog from now on .
    Looks a lot like what i'm doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good tip Jbineux. I'm an all around collector myself but it's weird for me since I go to thrift stores they are sometimes packed of n64 games while there are no game for other consoles. Then comes the genesis season and after that the NES season lol....I don't know all the rare or interesting titles for all consoles so sometimes I try to make my best judgment and wonder if they'll be any fun to play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep a humongous wish list of games in notepad. I try to carry it on me a lot, so when I am in thrift stores I dont have to guess if I am buying a crap game or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a Video game Collector magazine that is so helpful when i shop . There is a price for every game ( general idea ) and i can also check down the games i have .. It's starting to be hard to remember all my games.. 1000+

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally jealous Jbineux. I think my collection is only about 250, but I haven't counted in a while so I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete