Monday, August 31, 2009

18 Holy Grails Part 2

And now for the continuation of my 18 Gaming Holy Grails.



10. Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)

-Any self-respecting collector knows about Radiant Silvergun. Like Final Fantasy VII, it isn’t rare in the conventional sense, but it seems like everyone wants a copy. I’m mainly just collecting American releases, but I can make an exception.

Price: $200



11. Foxhound Gamecube

-What’s this? A third Hideo Kojima related item? Say it isn’t so! All joking aside though, I only recently came across this one. It came packaged with Twin Snakes in Japan…and that’s everything I know about it. Even though the only distinguishing feature it has from a normal Platinum Gamecube is the bad ass Foxhound symbol on the disc door, that’s more than enough for me.

Price: ?



12. Revelations: Persona (Psx)

-I loved Persona 3, and it only made me more curious about the series’ roots. I am aware that they are remaking this one for the Psp currently, but I still want to go back and see how it all started on the original Playstation.

Price: $100



13. Ogre Battle 64 (N64)

-Have you ever wanted to play a game so badly you could die…only to not have the money for it when it’s released? And when you do finally scrape together the funds, something else is already out? This is my relationship with Ogre Battle 64. Though I can’t remember what came out around the same time for it to be swept under the rug so callously, I’ve been kicking myself for it ever since. Of all the games in the Nintendo 64 library, this is the one I’m most looking forward to getting my hands on.

Price: $40



14. Harvest Moon 64 (N64)

-See my above entry. I had a friend who owned it, and after hearing his description, I was enthralled with the thought of something so unconventional (farming and married life…so what do you kill?). I put this one just a hair behind Ogre Battle on my most anticipated games in the N64 library I’ve yet to play.

Price: $30



15. Yuna’s Tiny Bee Gun Controllers X-2

-The Playstation 2 is the home to many strange and awesome controllers (the Dragon Quest slime one and Onimusha Katana come to mind), but my favorite is the Final Fantasy X-2 gun controllers. Wanted by collectors and cosplayers alike, they don’t add anything substantial in the game play department (you can fire at the screen during Yuna’s limit break) but they’re certainly one of the most stylish pieces of hardware ever made. Regardless, I’m actually holding off on playing FFX-2 until I get a set of these.

Price: $400



16. Elemental Gearbolt Assassin’s Case (Psx)

-An obscure Playstation game? Yes please. A game that comes with a red memory card and a golden light gun inside of a suitcase? Now you really have my attention. Given away to only 50 people at E3 in 1998 you say? …Shit.

Price: The last time one of these traded hands publicly it was for $787—and that’s considered cheap.



17. Majora’s Mask Fish Bone Guitar

-Perhaps the rarest item on my list. It popped into my mind subliminally the other day while listening to the Majora’s Mask soundtrack and I haven’t been able to get it out of my head since. The contest in issue 140 of Nintendo Power was for a custom Jackson Guitar made to look like the fish one Link uses when he’s disguised as a Zora. After posting a forum at Digitpress, it seems like only a handful of people even know these things exist. The only mention I could find of it on the internet claims that there were 7 of them made. What this all translates to is I’m going to need to be extremely lucky or extremely rich.

Price: I’m afraid to call and ask, most likely the price of a small car.



18. F-Zero AX Monster Ride

-Last but not least, the beast of arcade cabinets. I liked F-Zero on the Gamecube (despite being one of the hardest games I’ve ever played), but while playing it I felt like something was missing…something like a fully tilting cockpit that you control while zipping around futuristic tracks at 1500km an hour. I don’t think this needs any further description of why this thing is awesome. It’s also probably the biggest reason I’ll end up living in a warehouse at one point to accommodate this ridiculous collection of mine.

Price: I’ve seen a couple pop up online for around 5 to 10 thousand dollars.

*Honorable Mentions: Lunar Silver Star Story Complete (Psx), Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (Psx), Neo Geo AES, Bubble Bobble Part 2 (NES), D long box (Psx), Intensor Gaming Chair.

What do you think? Hopefully I’ve maybe pulled back the curtain on some things you didn’t even know existed. I highly encourage you all to make lists of your own =) Now keep in mind, a true collector is never finished, so as I come across some of these, I’ll probably replace them with new items (it’s always good to be looking forward to something).

As a last and slightly unrelated note, I’ve also recently decided to start collecting American Psp releases. The pile grows…

Stephen

All images are property of their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment